Monday, October 22, 2012

Local Spotlight: Satani Infernalis

     This is the first of many posts I will be making about local bands in the Southern California area that I feel need to get more recognition and unfortunately there is a lot of talent out there but all too often they don't get the recognition they deserve. My hope is that I can help get the bands listeners and dedicated followers as well. Believe me though, I only pick the finest quality bands and not donkey crap that is all too often overrated and has too much exposure! I had the pleasure tonight to do an interview with Dantalian of Satani Infernalis, a local black metal band from the Los Angeles area. I have seen them play last year and unfortunately I didn't see another show since then but it is a goal of mine to go out there to LA, whether by train or hitching a ride, and see this group play!

German Dave
First thing's first, tell me a little bit about yourself and where you are from.

Dantalian
I am the vocalist/ guitarist for Satani Infernalis as well as working on a project called Misery Angel. I'm originally from Baltimore, Maryland, but currently live in Los Angeles.

German Dave
What brought you out to Los Angeles in the first place?

Dantalian
I've always loved it here. This is where you go to work in the music business.
I'm currently studying for a commercial music degree.

German Dave
That would make sense, Los Angeles seems to be the crossroads at least here in the United States to build and grow musical talent but I think your case is interesting though because it seems most of the music that comes through LA is not of the black metal milieu and being that I am a fan of black metal your music is rather refreshing.Not too go far off topic though, what is Satani Infernalis and what does it mean?

Dantalian
Satani Infernalis is an anti religion propaganda machine. It is my way of releasing my inner hate and darkness, while waking some people up from their brainwashing.

German Dave
Anti-religion? Like in all religious expression or just a few? It seems like Black Metal in general has in it's history been more focused on fighting against Christian doctrine but where do you stand in the scheme of things?

Dantalian
I do not agree with any form of religion. All religion enslave people with their version of the truth. Like our song is called, it's 'Mental Slavery.'

German Dave
I can agree with you that religious expression has been intolerant in certain forms and with the song Mental Slavery what are you trying to convey? Like is it just on the attack or is there other messages as well.

Dantalian
It's actually more away from the direct attack approach. The lyrics are more to get people to research these so called peaceful religions, and find out their true murderous past.

German Dave
That's good! It's about opening people's minds and making them aware of what controls the world. Ideologies, religions, philosophies they are all underneath the world's workings and putting a dent into certain false doctrines will help in that effort! With that said, what got you into Black Metal?

Dantalian
I met some random friend of a friend when I was 16-ish and was into Satanic death metal. He put on some Marduk, and Emperor, and I was sold. I found every album I could find then. Back then it was a lot harder to find black metal cds.

German Dave
That was a time that I felt separated those that were really for Black Metal and those that only had a superficial liking to it. Would you agree that Black Metal and just Metal in of itself is a world-view and a lifestyle itself?

Dantalian
Metal is a sub-culture. Like most cultures we have separate groups depending on preferences. I listen to all kinds of stuff, mainly metal, but i'm metal everyday. The way I prefer to dress, and the music I write and play, as well as my take no shit attitude.

German Dave
I feel that's a good description of what Metal represents though I feel there is an extraordinary amount of philosophical underpinnings that shape the direction it goes. And of course that goes with all of the different sub-genres so it can never be lumped entirely into a homogeneous stew.What separates Black Metal though from all the other genres?


Dantalian
Black Metal has extreme messages. Black Metal is real. No Faggy fucking hairstyles, or skinny jeans in Black Metal.

German Dave
As a Black Metal band, where do you get a lot of your influences from and from those influences how can you describe your sound?

Dantalian
A lot of the early bands have influence such as: Gorgoroth, Emperor, Old Burzum, Mayhem, Judas Iscariot, Marduk, etc. Lately I find myself listening to mostly US bands. Ritual Combat, Ascension, Satan's Host, Nekcrium, and Gravespawn, to name a few. Our sound is aggresive, dark, hateful, and has it's own atmosphere to it.

German Dave
And so far I love the sound and I have for a while and I want people to listen to Satani Infernalis as well. What are the show dates coming up for your band in the near future?

Dantalian
So far only Nov. 17th at the No Guts, No Glory Festival. There is going to be some sick fucking bands playing. Two days of skull crushing metal.

German Dave
And I hope that the Gods themselves will bring me there on November 17, otherwise I won't know what to do! I am going to check out all these other bands and hopefully I will get them showcased on this blog and other media too. Any bands you can recommend to us that are in this festival?

Dantalian
Through These Gates, Deceive(death metal), At Dusk, Azathoth from Fresno, Skoffin(thrash). There's a bunch more, these are the ones i'm looking forward to seeing.

German Dave
Well I will have to do research on these bands and make it known to the world what real Metal looks like!
And sounds like of course. Anyways, thanks for the interview and anything else you want to end it with?

Dantalian
Hammer should be playing this one. We should have you covered. Anytime, brother! Hail!
Download our free EP!

No comments:

Post a Comment